Our Father's House, Inc.
More than 'just' a shelter!

MASS 211

For free, confidential information and referrals, dial 211, which is available 24/7. Mass 211 is a United Way-funded service created specifically to help put people in touch with the help they need.


Emergency Aid to Elders, Disabled and Children (EAEDC)

EAEDC provides cash assistance and other benefits to low-income elders, the disabled, and children who do not qualify for other cash assistance programs. The benefits you get depend on your family size, your living situation, and your income. Use the EAEDC Eligibility Check to see if you qualify.

Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)

TAFDC is a government program that gives cash assistance and other benefits to low-income families with dependent children. TAFDC is sometimes called "welfare" or "public assistance." You must have a child or be pregnant to qualify for TAFDC. Use the TAFDC Eligibility Check to see if you might qualify for benefits.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

SSI is a need-based cash assistance program that gives help to elders age 65 or older, and adults or children who are blind or disabled. SSI is for people with limited income and resources. Use the SSI Eligibility Check to see if you might qualify for benefits.

Veterans' Services (VS)

Veterans' Services (VS) is a cash assistance program for Massachusetts wartime veterans and their families who need help paying for basic needs such as food, shelter, clothing, housing supplies, and medical care. VS also provides referrals to employment, education, housing, substance abuse treatment, and other services.


SNAP Food Stamps

The Food Stamp Program is now called SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. SNAP helps low-income households pay for food so they can have a healthy diet and still have money to pay other bills. Use the SNAP Food Stamps Eligibility Check

Food Pantries and Free Meals

Food pantries are places to go to get free uncooked food to take home. Free meals programs are places to go to eat cooked meals free of charge.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC provides free healthy food to women, infants, and children who are at risk of developing medical or nutritional problems.



MassHealth is a public health insurance program for people living in Worcester and other parts of Massachusetts. To get MassHealth, you must meet certain general and financial eligibility requirements. Services and costs depend on the type of coverage that you get. Use the MassHealth Eligibility Check on the web site to see if you might qualify for benefits.

Health Safety Net

The Health Safety Net is a program for Massachusetts residents who are not eligible for health insurance, have limited health insurance, or cannot afford to buy health insurance. The Health Safety Net replaced Free Care (Uncompensated Care Pool) on October 1, 2007. Low income residents who qualify for the Safety Net can get medically necessary health services at community health centers and hospitals in Massachusetts at no charge or at a reduced charge. The Safety Net also helps families with medical hardships who do not have enough income to pay their medical bills.


Montachusett Interfaith Hospitality Network

Located in Leominster, MIHN is a coalition of congregations, providing temporary housing to families in crisis.

Tenancy Preservation Program

The Tenancy Preservation Program (TPP) is a homelessness prevention program. TPP works with tenants, including families with children with disabilities, facing eviction as a result of behavior related to a disability (e.g. mental illness, mental retardation, substance abuse, aging related impairments). TPP functions as a neutral party to the landlord and tenant. In consultation with the Housing Court Department, TPP works with the property owner and tenant to determine whether the disability can be
reasonably accommodated and the tenancy preserved.

Emergency Assistance (EA)

The Emergency Assistance program helps pregnant women and families with children who are homeless with nowhere to live. The program provides emergency shelter and help finding permanent housing. Emergency Assistance is run by the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). Use the online EA Eligibility Check to see if you might qualify for benefits.

Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT)

RAFT (Residential Assistance for Families in Transition) is a state-funded homelessness prevention program. RAFT helps families who are behind on rent, mortgage payments, or utility bills. RAFT also helps families who have to move but do not have enough money to pay a security deposit, utility startup costs, or first/last month’s rent. Funding is limited.


HomeBASE is an alternative to shelter for Massachusetts homeless families. HomeBASE offers financial assistance that can be used to pay rent, utility bills, security deposits, and other expenses that will allow a family to stay in current housing or move to new housing. To get HomeBASE, families must be eligible for Emergency Assistance (EA) shelter.

Foreclosure Prevention and Tenant Rights After Foreclosure

Foreclosure prevention programs are free counseling and mortgage assistance programs that help you if you are in trouble with your home loan, or think you will be in trouble in the future. The programs may make it possible for you to keep your home. Tenants in foreclosed buildings are protected by Massachusetts law and do not have to move out right away.

Shelters and Transitional Programs

Emergency shelters and transitional programs give temporary housing and support services to homeless people. Some shelters are for families with children, some are for runaway teens and teen parents, and some are for single adult men and women without children. Transitional programs provide many support services to help homeless people find housing and live independently.

Website Builder